Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Changing this city - Changing hearts....

My one year mark has been and gone. On the 26h July I celebrated one year of living and serving here at We Will Go! I don’t know if I could sum up this year if I tried to. It has been the most beautiful, God awing, challenging, joyful, surprising year.

God has changed my heart in so many ways, through surprising alleyways that I wouldn’t have been able to predict. He sends me encouragement and correction, showing me His beauty in everything. This has been a year of witnessing His redemption power, through mercy and love.

Once a week I wake up early to open the coffee shop. I am outside my house about to drive off and I get stopped by Paul. Paul is a very childlike man, who will always come at you with a big smile and can talk to you for three hours without stopping. I love him a lot. He tells me that it is his 31st birthday. We celebrate together in that moment as he makes the true statement that ‘he has made it’. He made it when others around him haven’t done so. He has turned 31, and the exceeds his life expectancy. That day was a true celebration of life.

My prayer for this city is ‘Lord, bring your breath of life into this place’. His breath of life looks like freedom, joy, truth, identity, beauty and so many other things that my saviour is. My prayer is that He shines in this place.

I have seen a huge difference from when I first arrived, in this city and in people that I know. I have seen teenagers go from acting out of anger to having the softest heart. I have also seen those who are living on the street and in abandoned houses, come and act crazy almost every day. Then one day they just ‘get it’, and weep in their knowing that they need Jesus. They are tired, and they can’t keep going.

Jesus has said the same to me many times. – He tells me I am tired with trying to keep going, without Him in certain areas. I have learnt that even when it comes to making breakfast, I can’t do that without Him. He must be my center to everything.

This year God has spoken to me through circumstances more times than I could count. When we have someone yelling outside our building, threatening to kill us, as he is on drugs and full of darkness, God reminds that I would be like that man if I didn’t have Him in my life. If I was without God, my shining light, I would be so dark. God shows me how to pray and how to love time and time again. That man, a few months later walks past the coffee shop as I am opening and has a pleasant conversation with me. He isn’t high on anything and I get to see a glimpse of who this man was made to be.


Pray for this city with me. Pray for none of us to be fooled into thinking that we can do anything without Him. May we walk deeper into that fiery heart of His, not taking anything of our flesh with us.

This year I have been serving in Hospitality, mostly helping with the organising and communication. I also host our amazing visitors while they are here. I also joined the Hosea team at the start of this last year. This part of the ministry is more focused on those who work in the local clubs. I am also a house mum in the ‘Intern house’

As a daughter of the high king, God has placed me in those positions not to ‘Do’ things for Him, like a slave. But to serve Him gladly, while He shows me His heart. I feel like He does way more in me, than in other around me. I then get to choose to step into that daily.

This last year has been beautiful, and I am excited for another. I am excited to see what else God has planned.

Please keep praying for me in my time here. I appreciate your prayers, and I know they move mountains! Take a look at my video from a couple of months ago, talking more about my time here, plus my exciting trip to Mozambique in November!

If you would like to purchase any We Will Go art products to help with this trip, please simply state that in the notes when purchasing online. https://wewillgo.org/shop/





No comments:

Post a Comment